Thursday, September 28, 2006

First time subbing at an elementary school

I subbed for my first time at an elementary school yesterday. I had the opportunity to teach two grade levels. The teachers were in some on-site training. So, I started with a fourth grade class and it went so well. I taught Language Arts. The kids started off by writing in their journals about what their favorite book. It was a great activity to start with. Right there I could see which kids were having trouble paying attention to their tasks and which kids were having difficulty following directions. Next, we moved on to some language skills tasks that were already written on the whiteboard, then more language skills in their activity books. We ended the class period with a twenty minute movie and mammals.

The second class, fifth grade, went almost as well. This was for a different teacher who was called next into the training. There was one kid in the class who had problems following directions and kept getting up from his desk. He wasn't all that bad. I kept telling him not to disturb the other kids and he always went back to his desk and was quiet for a bit longer until he would get board again.

In that class we went over their assignments from the previous day. Then did some spelling exercises, and some fun activities. The class ended with the TA reading a story to the kids during a quiet time.

The teacher in that last class did have a small bell that she rings when the class starts talking too loud during tasks. I had to use it twice. Not too bad for a sub. When the bell is rung, all the kids stopped what they are doing, stood and folded there arms, and went quiet. Then I rung the bell again which told the kids to sit back down. That teacher has done such a great job with teaching these kids how to behave. Plus, every kid worked very well on their tasks.

I have another sub assignment this afternoon at a different elementary school. I hope it goes just as well.

3 comments:

David said...

Yeh, 4th-5th are pretty much "dream" grades to teach. 4th especially.

Zanke said...

So far, I am thinking of teaching 4th, 5th, or 6th grade for my student teaching next year and looking for a perm job in those grades when I get my certificate. I have heard from several people now that 4th is the perfect grade to teach.

Nationwide said...

Subbing can be difficult work that is often under-appreciated by most. A great project to use when you begin teaching full-time, should you decide to, is the Studentreasures student publishing programs.

These free programs provide teachers and fun, interactive project the motivates and excites students. How it works is: students write and illustrate a story as a class or individually using the free kits provided by Studentreasures. When they are finished you send the completed kits to STudentreasures to published into hardbound books for free! The excitement on your students faces is truly one to behold as they see their books for the first time.