Monday, September 18, 2006

Signed up to become a substitute teacher

I took the substitute teacher training class today. It was a two hour class mostly about policies, a little bit on how to handle the classroom, and more info than necessary on how to use the substitute phone system. We covered things like daily procedures, preventing disruptive behavior, health care emergency, sexual harrassment, substance abuse, and over 30 minutes on how to access that phone system.

The class ended with a pathetic video of the phone system. I just have to mention this because just about everyone was annoyed with the video. Some people even walked out of the training and left. The video looked like it was made by complete amatuers from the 80's. And each time they introduced something new, they had to take you through every step to get all over again. Yes, we get the idea, you have to call the system, put in your pin and all that other crud to get to this new menu!!! Just get on with it and tell us about this new menu!!! After twenty minutes of the video the instructor finally turned it off stating the system is easy to use if you just listen to the different options when calling. Yes, we figured that out after five minutes into the video.

So now I am "qualified" to substitute a class. Actually, there's more to it than that. To get into the class you have to have a bachelors degree or 60 credit hours, or a teachers certificate, or be a retired teacher. There were a lot of retired teachers there. The school district sent letters to all of the recently retired teachers from that district asking them to become substitutes.

I don't know if I have a chance at getting called to substitute a class. There were over 130 people at the training and they have been holding several training classes over the last three months.

I do have one advantage. I'm not currently working and don't have to work while I am in the masters program.

I hope I get a call sometime soon. I need all the experience I can get!

No comments: