Thursday, September 28, 2006

I must be lucky

I must be lucky. I subbed again today for a fourth grade class and the students were so well behaved and we finished all of the tasks that were in the lesson plans. It was just a half day, afternoon. We started off with a Math Pre-Test. They are starting a new chapter in their math books, so the teacher wanted to see how much they already new. I gave the kids forty minutes to finish the test. During that time I was able to open my novel and read several chapters. The class was so quiet during that time and when some of the students finished before the others they quietly pulled out some books and started reading.

I was blown away at how well the students behaved with a sub. After the math test we moved onto science and watched an two movies from the Isaac Asimov educational video series on the planets Mercury and Venus. During the videos they took lots of notes on Mercury and Venus. I was surprised at how much information they took down. We ended the day by correcting some assignments from the morning.

The only issue that I had was the kids started talking during the last fifteen minutes of class while we were correcting papers. They had done so well up until that. I didn't worry about it much. They did so well for me the entire afternoon. I asked them to keep quiet every couple of minutes which did help and we got through this final task.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I arrived early to the class and talked a bit with the teacher. When I mentioned that I was getting my masters and was subbing for the experience, she thought that was a great idea. But when I mentioned that I was hoping to work in this school district when I finish the program, she had some interesting remarks about the district. I will write more in another post later tonight or tomorrow morning. You will have to wait...

No comments: