Thursday, September 21, 2006

More about todays teaching gig

I still don't know what to think about my substitute teaching today. After a half hour the main teacher (there were four of us) wanted to move me to a different class because his was being very disruptive. When no other class needed any help I was sent home. The main teacher said that it wasn't anything against me, but of course it was or he would have given me other tasks to help with in his classroom.

I think that this teacher wanted someone with special ed experience to be the substitute. There's nothing wrong with that, except that there aren't many substitute teachers with special ed experience.

When I entered his classroom the first thing he asked was what kind of experience I had with this type of classroom. I was honest and said none. You should have seen the look on his face. He was shocked!

As I was leaving, secretary at the front office mentioned that if I wanted to try to this school again that I would definitely get another call. She said that a lot of substitute teachers ask to have this school removed from their substitute school lists after trying for a day.

I told her as long as they didn't mind that I was knew to substitute teaching and new to special ed, then I would give it another try. She mentioned that a lot of the subs that they have never had any experience in this area when they first started.

So I guess I really have no idea why that teacher didn't want me in his class. Its probably something that I can't worry about. Now I just have to decide whether of not I am going to keep this school on my list of schools I can sub at.

No comments: